Thursday, July 9, 2009

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/MakingStridesAgainstBreastCancer/MSABCFY10Mid-South?fr_id=19717&pg=entry

Walk for Strides is the cancer walk they do every year around October in Nashville. My first experience was two years ago. One of my mom's best friends has cancer and me, my sister, and my mom had signed up to walk. The walk was October 14, and my mom died unexpectedly on October 8. We still went to the walk. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I took a hankerchief with my mom's name engraved on it, and I reminded myself over and over that she would want me there even if I felt like crawling in a hole instead. My mother's friend was in a wheelchair that year. I'll never forget the look on her face when she saw me and my sister had still come to walk. It is forever etched in my memory. And it taught me that people CAN make a difference on this earth if they are willing to let God use them. My mother was a wonderful friend and she let God use her compassionate and loving heart to encourage and strengthen those around her. Her legacy was there that day.
We made it through and the next year my mother's friend was walking...she even beat our time! I was so excited for her, but honestly, in the depths of my human mind, I wondered, why did God heal my mother's friend but not my mother? The thought passed because I know the answer. God is sovereign and only He knows why He chooses to do things the way He does and I really wouldn't have it any other way. He is loving, kind, and gracious, and I trust Him in that He knew what was best.
Well all that I guess to say that the walk for strides is coming up again this year...it's a special event to me for many reasons. I put a link at the top of this post so if you're interested in checking it out please do. I'm looking for two things: people to donate money when I walk, or people to come out and walk with me. Even if you don't go all out and get sponsors and raise a lot of money, your presence there will mean a lot and raise awareness. If you're interested in either one of these, comment or email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment